For not the first time, I felt lucky to be up working at 2-3 AM PST, ironically on Hereford beef from Herefordshire England while the royal wedding was on in the background.
For a non-gusher, Kate’s arrival at the Abbey was something to see Live, even on a small screen and more than 5 time zones away. Being part of something like that monarchy, the tradition, the line of fathers & sons, mothers & daughters made me understand why all those Tommies faced the machine guns and tanks of England’s foes.
It was spectacular to see the princess bride walk towards royal matrimony, with all its privilege and all its responsibilities & strictures, accompanied by her inspirational processional music and her “flock” of attending little “bride-lings” in white.
The images got me thinking about what they would be eating in London today and so courtesy of The Australian, we were able to review the Royal Menu released by Buckingham Palace. The 650 or so guests at the lunchtime reception were served a selection of canapes, including:
- Cornish crab salad on lemon blini
- Pressed duck terrine with fruit chutney
- Roulade of goats’ cheese with caramelised walnuts
- Assortment of palmiers and cheese straws
- Scottish smoked salmon rose on beetroot blini
- Miniature watercress and asparagus tart
- Poached asparagus spears with Hollandaise sauce
- Quails eggs with celery salt
- Scottish langoustines with lemon mayonnaise pressed confit of pork belly with crayfish and crackling
- Wild mushroom and celeriac chausson
- Bubble and squeak with confit shoulder of lamb
- Grain mustard and honey-glazed chipolatas
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
- Smoked haddock fishcake with pea guacamole
- Miniature Yorkshire pudding with roast fillet of beef and horseradish mousse
- Gateau opera
- Blood orange pate de fruit
- Raspberry financier
- Rhubarb creme brulee tartlet
- Passionfruit praline
- White chocolate ganache truffle
- Milk chocolate praline with nuts
- Dark chocolate ganache truffle
Buckingham Palace added that guests would be served Pol Roger NV brut reserve champagne – along with other soft and alcoholic drinks.
The palace said that governors-general and prime ministers would be presented to the queen, the duke of Edinburgh, the prince of Wales, the duchess of Cornwall, and the newly-married royal couple.
The reception was due to include the cutting of the wedding cake, as well as some speeches.
“The Smartest Way to Learn to Cook™”