The return of the Summer Food Drive is fast approaching. Starting tomorrow P Chef will be on the road for a few days and thousands of miles of food touring. The drive is shaping up to be about burgers, BBQ & Pie, with a few sightseeing, sleep and gym stops along the way. As usual, to further help guard my “A-Bit-Past-Svelt” figure, the only food consumption will occur at designated food stops. So they better be good, or I’m on a “poor-planning” diet.
The main food stops are :
1. Ted’s Steamed Burgers: 1046 Broad St Meriden, CT 06450 Burgers
2. White Manna: 358 River St Hackensack, NJ 07601 Burgers
4. White Mana: 470 Tonnele Ave Jersey City, NJ 07307 Burgers
5. Ray’s Hellburger: 1725 Wilson Blvd Arlington, VA 22201 Burgers
6. Seasonal Cook: 416 W Main St Charlottesville, VA 22903 Cookware
7. Rosewood Dairy Bar: 3003 Rosewood Dr Columbia, SC 29205 Pimento Burgers
8. Birmingham Bake & Cook Co Inc 5291 Valleydale Road Birmingham, AL 35242- 7707 (205) 980-3661 Cookware
9. Oxford, MS Just a Cool Town (maybe I can research some Southern Purveyors and find a gym)
10. Craig Bros Cafe 15 Walnut De Valls Bluff, AR 72041 (870) 998-2616 BBQ
11. Family Pie Shop: Across the street in De Valls Bluff, AR 72041 PIE
12. Hot Springs, AR Curious About the Place
13. Hope, AR Curious About the Place
14. Texarkana, Tx Curious About the Place
15. Zion’s Church/Wards BBQ: 2601 Montgomery Rd, Huntsville, TX 77340 BBQ
16. Monument Café: 500 S Austin Ave Georgetown, TX 78626 PIE
18. Texas Pie Company: 202 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640 PIE
19. Blanco Bowling Club: 310 4th St Blanco, TX 78606 PIE
20. Perini’s Ranch: Hwy 89 Buffalo Gap, TX 79508 Best Steak in US?
21. B&E Burrito: 303 Franklin Street Hatch, NM 87937 (575) 267-5191 @ Green Chili Season – B&E is a 500 mile favorite of mine. If I’m within 500 miles, I’m going. And I’m going even though Mrs. P Chef would disapprove of the B&E, a place that looks like it was built to just to prevent a Breaking & Entering. And it still looks that way, even once you’re inside. I’m never sure that they were’nt just robbed. And then there is the Giant Fly Wrestling. It is a challenge to keep the winged varments at bay. Who thought they’d be partial to both your red and your green chile. But despite the negatives, the flavor is a greater draw and outweighs the negatives 3 to 1. Green chili so hot it makes you cry, okay it makes me cry. But it is also so good that I can’t help taking another painful bite. And then another, and another until the whole nuclear burrito dissappears bite, by painfully good bite, from the tear stained plate.
22. Smart Kitche & Home. ‘Nuff Said.
Look for the updates here or on our Facebook Fan Page.
P Chef’s Hammer Down