A Chinois is a Conical Strainer that Resembles a Chinese Hat
Resources > Cooking Equipment > Kitchen Utensils > Strainers > Chinois

Are you a Smart Kitchen™ Chef?

Try it FREE or take a TOUR to explore Smart Kitchen!
+ -


Chinois: There are two types of Chinois in the kitchen. Both are conical liquid strainers shaped like ancient Chinese hats, hence the name “China Cap” and/or “Chinois,” which means “Chinese” in French.

The imprecise cook refers to both types of strainers as Chinois and/or China Caps because of their distinct conical hat shape. The formal definition for the Chinois Etamine (the bouillon strainer), is a fine strainer most commonly referred to as the Chinois. The coarser meshed Perforated Chinois is most often called a China Cap.

Chinois: - The Chinois Etamine or Bouillon Strainer is constructed with a finer mesh and is used for finer straining. It will catch more particles out of the liquid.

Often a Chinois has a handle and a hook so that it can be held or hooked on the rim of a pot or pan.

If you are in the market for a Chinois you can find a good Stainless Steel Chinois at Sur La Table's web site. It is not cheap but neither is the product.